Sunday, August 29, 2010

Australia - The Land of the ?

When did Australia become a Facist State?  For the 21 years I resided there (and obtained citizenship) it seemed to be a democracy - OK, there were some crazy political things and some judges who needed to revisit the law and try to punish offenders when they were found guilty.  But now that I am reading about the ATO and Paul Hogan I am trying to come to grips with their logic.  They enlisted the US Tax Department (the IRS) to try to find "dirt" on the US side and there wasn't a thing that could be used.  So, what does the ATO do then?  They decide to wait until he comes back to Australia to bury his Mum and then deny him access to leave and be with this wife and son.

I am not defending Paul Hogan in respect to his tax problems as I really don't have any knowledge of what is going on.  There but for the grace of G-d and the Bankruptcy Laws go I.  But, to do what they have done and gloat in the press and have the rest of the world trying to decide exactly what is going on in the Land Down Under - don't know what they are thinking about.  They do have a PR area, don't they?

It's bad enough the rest of the world is watching the ramifications of the election debacle and the Gang of 3/4 trying to wrest control of the government and have their pet projects come to the forefront.  What is happening to the country I loved?  I guess the inmates have taken control of the asylum.  Anyone know a good way to fix things?

No comments:

Post a Comment