Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Home Town - Monticello, New York

There is a saying that says "you can never go home".  Well, that is true to a degree.  What I think that means is that when one does go back the "home" is not what you remember.  Growing up in Monticello in the 50's was magical.  We walked to school, to the movies, to each other's houses and then graduated to riding our bikes.  I remember my first bike, a green Shelby.  Do you remember yours?  I remember the bike trips along the Port Jervis Road to Port Jervis -how tired we were and our parents driving out to meet us as it go too dark and they were all worried.

I remember Broadway when it was "summer busy" and then when it was "winter busy".  All the stores were open and we all knew each other store owners and/or the managers.  We could stop in anywhere to go to the bathroom, if needed, and we had so many places to get a drink (soda, egg cream, ice cream soda, sundae, malted).  The soda fountains at Gusars or Pickers or Spectors were special.

The Rialto was a special place for all of us.  At first we went to the Saturday matinee (for a quarter!!!) and saw a short, cartoon, news and then 2 pictures.  But just remember how big we felt when we graduated to teh Friday night show.  Our first dates when it took over an hour to get up the courage to put your arm around your date.  And when you finally did how bad your arm hurt from being in that one position before ascending to the shoulder.  Remember?  Sunday night at the movies was reserved for the parents or, if you were being punished, you had to go with them and not with your friends.  I think that Wednesday night was Bank Night and you were able to win money and gifts.  Remember your first movie at the Rialto?  I do - my Aunt Doris took me to see The Wizard of Oz.

The Broadway was the summer theatre that opened so the overflow could be accomodated.  It was on the "slow side" of Broadway sharing the area after the Post Office and Max Fella's Jewelry store next to Spectors and across from Kaplans and the original Gager's Diner (that is a memory burner).  Next to the movie was Lashinky's where my mom bought her meat as it was kosher and Tarbo always had a smile for me when I was with her or passing the store on my way to Dr. Cohen's or meeting my mom at Krists.  The Bowling Alley next to the Park Avenue Steak House had different memories as there we were able to make some extra money as pin boys (before automation).  Lots of bruises if you didn't keep yourself way above the pins as they flew around the area.

So many memories and so different now as most of the stores on Broadway are closed and the feeling of our home town is gone.  But I still love to go back and show people that this where I grew up.  A tour around the place and I show them where I lived (the 45 Liberty Street house is gone) but 4 Myrtle Avenue is still there.  I do remember once going back and knocking on the door of the house on Myrtle Avenue.  The lady who lived there invited me in and still remember saying to her "when did you make the place smaller?"  Yes, it always looks smaller when you go home.

I will continue to go back there and visit my friends who live there and take people there to show them this is where I learned to honor family and friends.  I still follow the path of my father and mother in that regard and thank them for showing me the way - even though it took a bit longer for it get through.

1 comment:

  1. Alan, Enjoyed your memories of Monticello. Brought back a lot of mine too. Bobby Katzman, Harris Gordon & I probably would never have gone so far in Scouting had it not been for men like Isreal Ellenberg & Nate Mayberg & all the support given to us by folks at the Jewish Community Center. Sho-fu Den in Forestburg where I grew up was eventually sold to the Japanese. It remained stagnant for years, but I understand they are making it into a spa. Google it & go to the website for an update. Maybe Sullivan county can undergo a rebirth too.
    Regards, Chet

    ReplyDelete